Thursday, October 05, 2006

Goodbye Good Dog

Well, I can hardly believe I'm typing this, but Sam is leaving us today. The vet is coming by at 2:30 to put him to sleep. It still doesn't seem possible. Just two weeks ago he was running around the back yard, roughhousing with Ulf and barking at anyone who dared pass by our house with another dog.

I wanted to write and yet I find I'm at a loss. There is nothing to say. He'll be gone in a few hours and we'll miss him terribly and ache when he's not there to greet us at the front door. We'll be vaccuuming up his hair for months. There will be no 95-pound, half-dog/half-gorilla romping around our house knocking things over with his tail.

I guess all that's left to say is I loved you, Sam, more than any other dog I've ever known. More than made sense to a lot of people, but I don't care what they think. I'm sorry the last year of your life didn't involve more walks and more ball throwing and the bringing home of more plush toys for you to tear apart. If I had known the end was going to be this soon, that all would have been different.

Anyway, bye kiddo. Have fun in what your Pop calls the Summerlands. There'll never be another one like you.

Love you,
The Girl Fleshmonkey

No comments: