Friday, January 04, 2013

Namaste?

Not expecting superhero powers, but if yoga can make me
slightly less lame, that would be good.
For years friends have been trying to get me to do yoga. As recently as six months ago, my attitude was something along the lines of "hell to the NO."

I suspect it was more unfamiliarity than anything else, but there's also the small matter of my knees. After two ACL repairs (one of which left my right knee with tons of numbness and, where there wasn't numbness, a lot of nerve pain), I just didn't think I could do it.

Have changed my mind for a lot of reasons:

Pain. I'm pretty much living with constant pain right now. Hip, back, shoulders, neck ... you name it, I've got it. Some days and some areas are worse than others, but it's there, and I know I shouldn't be living like this. Incidentally, I've also started going to a chiropractor, something I swore I'd never do after growing up with a dad who frequently espoused the crook-like qualities of the chiropractors he came into contact with in the insurance business. (And for the record, I think even my dad has gone to a chiropractor at this point — turns out I might be the most stubborn and dumb member of my family). So anyway, yeah ... pain. Ouch. Enough's enough.

New friends. I'm friends with these women who I've met through Wilder's school. And they're all fit. Like yoga-practicing, running-at-4-o'clock-in-the-morning fit. Anyway, turns out if you hang out with people who all move a lot more than you, you start wondering why you're such a lazy bastard whose biggest physical accomplishment for the day is chasing your fence-jumping dog down the block. Now, believe me, I will never run early in the a.m. Just not programmed to get out of bed that early. But running at midnight? I can see myself doing that. I'll take pepper spray. Or a taser. Or Betty. And beware, hookers (you know who you are) — come spring grandma's gunning for your butts on the tennis court. (Combining hookers and butts in one sentence might have been ill-conceived, but it stays ...)

Depression. A few months ago, my meds started not working. So I went to the doc and she doubled my dosage. Back to a moderate amount of depression. But I know, sooner or later, that same thing is going to happen again, and I'm pretty sure I'm on the highest therapeutic dosage for the anti-depressant I'm taking. And I don't want to try this drug or that drug and see what the side effects are ... given my side-effect history lately, I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before I take something that makes my eyes bleed or I spontaneously grow a goiter or somesuch. So I gotta figure something out that doesn't involve the pharma-industry. Hey! I hear exercise helps your mood!

The xBox. Not what you were expecting for No. 4, eh? A few months ago, I got this Kinect "game" that has a bunch of workouts on it. Dance, cardio boxing, tai chi, etc. And, you got it, yoga. Jerry and I have done it a few times together and I'm always surprised by how good I feel afterward. My body hurts less, my mind focuses more, my mood improves. Yay for modern technology! And I've been able to do it in the comfort of my own living room, and have proved to myself that I can actually balance on one foot for longer than two seconds. It's also proved to me that yoga is one helluva workout. I stay in one place for just under half an hour and I'm sweating by the end of it. And even somewhat breathless.

Anyway, I start a bonafide yoga class — one with other people who are presumably better at this than me — next week. I'm really hoping that the benefits outweigh the embarrassment because, honestly, I am so out of alignment, so inflexible, so, so incapable and unbalanced (not mentally ... although, yeah, that too ...), I can't imagine what a challenge I am going to present to my instructor.

If you do yoga and want to offer me a few words of encouragement, please do. I'm gonna need it, I think.

Oh, and PS! I forgot Reason No. 5. If you haven't seen this video, watch it now. Talk about the transformative power of getting your ass off the couch.

6 comments:

Sherry said...

I fully expect a post after the first time you fart in yoga class... and I cannot wait!

xx

The Scotts said...

Kick Ass!

Amy D. said...

Kris,
Getting old is a Bitch, isn't it? Glad you are going to be getting into yoga....
Been doing Yoga here in the building every Tuesday for the last couple years. I was a novice when I started and have grown to love it...
Make sure you get a teacher that knows the body, not just yoga poses...they will know how to work with your past surgeries which affect you, etc.
Ours is an Iyengar teacher and she is very knowledgeable in what each exercise does for you and for the specific parts of the body. Also, the teacher should make sure you are doing the positions correctly...when you are starting, it's more important to do them right, than fast or in the heat
Hope you enjoy your classes....
Love your posts...
The boys are darling!!!
hugs,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Again...inspiration! I have heard the yoga path over and over too and buck it at the concern of no core strength, no coordination, completely embarrassing my ass and YES ~ farting in class the whole time!!! Rock on hip mama!

Unknown said...

www.aloevdenevenakliyat.com
www.gebzenakliyat.info
www.depolama.co

Anonymous said...

Oh guys its so funny post but your them really very good because some body say that "health is wealth" . Health point of view your post really good. Buy online various style Gymnastic Mats online at low rate from our web URL GymnasticMatsUk.co.Uk