Saturday, April 07, 2007

Haircuts and Mayhem

Today Wilder experienced a toddler's rite of passage: his first real haircut. He was mostly unimpressed, and only fussed a little when the girl cutting his hair messed with his bangs. I took that as a sign that he does not want a mullet, so I told him as long as he eats his vegetables and is always sweet to his mama, I won't let him look like the second coming of Billy Ray Cyrus. At any rate, he did great and even got a few neck nuzzles from the sweet young thing who cut his hair. She was named Ashley had hot pink streaks in her own hair and there was a guy sportin' a real-deal mohawk greeting people at the door. Joan Jett screamed "I Hate Myself For Loving You" over the speakers. These are things I want to remember.

So, because Wilder did so well and didn't wrestle with the scissors-wielder or kick and scream and generally have a come-apart, I figured he deserved a "thanks for not embarrassing your mom in public" treat. We went to TCBY and I ordered the only thing that sounded like it would fun for a toddler to smear all over his whole toddler-body: Rainbow Cream. It had a lot of different colors in it, but, as you can see from the photos, mostly blue. I gave him two spoons and total control. He took his time and the whole experience elicited many head shakes from his father while I couldn't take the sh*t-eating grin off my face.

Anyway, some pics below: from the barbershop, in mid-rainbow cream mode, in the tub afterward and, of course, looking fresh as a daisy post-bath with his new 'do. There's not much difference ... I couldn't bear to cut his curls, but he still looks handsome as all get out.


Sitting stoically at the beginning.

Checking out the two flat-screen TVs (pure boy).

Before the Rainbow Cream experience got messy.

There ya go kiddo! Now you're getting into it!

Mama and Wilder a la Braveheart.

"Look mama, my dino matches my face!"

Oh so handsome!

I'm so proud of my boy ...

And, two bonus photos from the past couple weeks that I just liked:



No comments: