Sunday, June 10, 2007

Whew ...


We've been pretty busy here the last few weeks. Slowly pulling some things together that we've been meaning to do for some time. Painting our front room a non-Parkay yellow color (after six years that particular color starts to make you feel a bit homicidal rather than what I assume is its intended "cheeriness"). That effort was fraught with folly ... I put two gallons on the wall in full-steam-ahead mode before I realized it wasn't going to dry anything other than that pinkish/lilacish color that neither Jerry or I could live with unless Cinderella her friggin' self was moving in and paying the mortgage. It was a mixing fiasco perpetrated by Gidden, Evil Overlords of Erroneous Paint Formulas. Ahh, damn you Gidden!!!! (We ended up with a lovely neutral shade that complements the orange kitchen/red office nicely.)

Speaking of office ... this weekend, spontaneously, we decided to tackle the office/den/library/"man room." I say "we" as if Jerry had much choice. I tend to decide on a whim that these things must be done. He theoretically could not help me. But I think A) he's a very sweet man and so plunges himself into the effort with enthusiasm and B) fears the look in my eyes and what it could turn into should he not pitch in. I've said it before; will say it again -- I married the right man. He gets me and all my mostly unloveable idiosyncracies.

/tangent.

Anyway, this room had become:
1. Absolutely filthy with neglect
2. A storage room

Bikes and strollers were mixed in with mold and dust and bunnies and lord knows what else. Much cleaning solution and paper towelage were employed. Like, enough to bring a small forest back to life (in the paper towel dept. ... the cleaning solution was just enough to make me goofy on fumes).

We're not quite done yet, but the end result is rather nice. I finally got some pictures framed and displayed that were taken by my old friend and our wedding photographer, David Wood, 12 years ago on a tour of the Pacific Northwest. They look fantastic. I bought a huge but manly houseplant (this remains the "man room," after all) and a container for it that I liken to a tire. Again, the manly thing. As the coup de grace of manliness, I've decided that, rather than purchase a new media cabinet, I will decoupage our old one with old pinup prints for a really funky piece. I think I'm more excited about the possibilities than Jerry.

Anyway, it looks good, and I've now been blogging about cleaning and decorating for a few hundred words, and I should probably stop before this gets out of hand. I will end with the statement that should any of you who read this blog ever decide to come visit us (hint nudge hint nudge), we have some really lovely, non-girly, non-pinky/lilacy spaces for you to chill in. Oh, and we make stellar coffee and steaks and breakfasts and will take excellent care of you. Our dogs will lick you and our child will drool on you, but that's all part of the love.

Seriously, people ... come feel the love. Dallas is lovely this time of year (if you don't mind horribly oppressive humidity and clouds of vampire bugs.) xoxo, Kris

3 comments:

Mel said...

Kris, I DO mind horribly oppressive humidity and clouds of vampire bugs, but I would gladly beat them down for the chance to see the three of you!

Anonymous said...

what an improvement..love the office..K&J you all did an amazing job..
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

that was me..momma t