Monday, August 20, 2007

Such a trooper

Poor Wilder. He has pneumonia and has been sleeping all afternoon. Jerry and I first got an inkling that something was wrong Friday after dinner with friends. He was fine at dinner, laughing and cheering with his sippy cup and eating like a horse. A few hours later, he was coughing so hard in his crib he threw up everywhere. Over the weekend he didn't seem to get any worse, but no better, especially at night and in the mornings, when he'd cough himself silly. During the day he'd get much better and be his usual Wilder-self, our running, laughing boy. Still, I had an inkling something more serious might be afoot. This morning the cough was worse and so Jerry and I kept him home from daycare and split the day, making a mid-day doc appointment. Our pediatrician listened to his lungs and pronounced it pneumonia. A mild case, thank goodness. We dropped his prescription off, picked up a burger, grilled cheese and fries at a nearby burger joint and dined in the drugstore parking lot with AC on full blast with Jim Morrison singing Peace Frog (and his mama explaining the impact of bands like The Doors in popular music culture) while we waited on his antibiotics. He grinned the whole time. In fact, I wish I showed as much grace and fortitude when I don't feel well. His nap earlier got interrupted for his doctor appt., so I put him back down at 3. It's almost 6 p.m. and he's still fast asleep. Poor kid. Glad he's getting his rest.

Ahh, I hear him stirring now ...

xoxo, k.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Awwwww. Pobrecito! My son had the same thing when he was about the same age. I hope he's feelin' better now. Sending you all love.