Thursday, June 05, 2008

One vodka tonic is not enough

So Jerry and I were just discussing how we haven't built up our two-kids callous yet and all that entails. The noise, the whines, the cries, the fusses, -- times two, of course -- the two baths, two bodies to clothe and feed and keep alive. At day's end, we're at our wit's end; we know in time it will get better. Like everything else we've gotten used to over the last two and a half years -- the having our bodies treated like jungle gyms, the deafening decibel levels at octaves that damn near pour blood forth from the ears, the endless diapers, the number of times one little boy can say "ice cream," with every possible inflection, in an hour -- this too shall pass.

This. Too. Shall. Pass.

It's just been a particularly rough day. Hunter fussed all day, wasn't happy unless I was not only holding him, but doing some heretofore unseen combination of walking, jiggling, swaying and cooing/shushing into his year. I only got it right about 3 percent of the day. Wouldn't fall asleep without a boob in his mouth. Wouldn't stay asleep without a boob in his mouth. And then Wilder ... well, Wilder was just Wilder as he is right now. Having total meltdowns over ice cream and then shocking the hell out of us at dinner by actually trying creamed spinach (but only after I implored "please? puuuullllllleeeeeaaazzzze?" as many times as he d "ice cream" earlier in the day).

Well, anyway, that's why this post is titled what it is. I've had my daily allotted alcohol intake, and I feel like I could use a couple more.

On that note, now my tiny -month-old Genghis Khan calls. But, that said, it's moments like those pictured below that make this whole parenting/slowly going gray one little-boy-moment at a time thing worth it:

I just really liked the motion in this shot, even if the crop is off.


W and Papa enjoy time in the pool.
The pool makes living in Texas in summertime a WHOLE. LOT. BETTER.

Behold! Mister Happy!

I think this photos personifies Hunter's laid-back charm perfectly. He's getting an incredibly adorable repertoire of facial expressions that seemed designed to charm the ladies.

On that note ... I'm off to tuck in children and collapse onto a soft surface. xo, k.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you never get used to the noise level, your ears just get used to tuning it all out. Whining x4!!