Saturday, August 02, 2008

Potty training: a glimmer of hope

I don't talk about potty training too much on the blog. Mostly because it really hasn't happened to any significant degree yet. So far, the dialogue has consisted of questions like: "Wanna go potty on the potty?" Answered usually one of two ways: "No" or "noooooooooo!!!!!!"

Until this past week. I finally got motivated and made a potty training sticker chart. I bought super kickass stickers (to a 2-year-old boy anyway): Speed racer ones, Cars ones, etc. I put the chart up in Wilder's room and showed him the stickers. Suddenly, he was willing to at least sit on the potty. First with pants up then, after he informed me it was "not scary mama," (I think he'd previously thought some green-eyed turd monster lived in there)with pants down. He was even trying to pull his own pants up and down, down going better than up. Up usually results in a wedgie of mind-boggling proportions or, my personal favorite, he front-side business end being covered up but his ass hanging out for the world to see.

Anyway, so we sat. Despite much encouragement to pee or poop, he just sat, unrolled toilet paper, flushed and yelled "bye water! byeeeeeee!" as if it was embarking on a trip overseas, not to return for months and months. If he'd had a hankie, I'm sure he would have waved it.

So no actually "potty" yet, but still we press on. This morning, I asked Wilder if he wanted to go pee or poop on the pot. Noooo, he said.

And then, there it was, our little glimmer of hope. The dog throwing the proverbial bone to his long-suffering, aromatically offended, butt-wiping parents ...:

"Not YET, Mama."

Not yet? Not YET????? Surely this means, that at some point in the future -- though I'm willing to admit in Wilder's mind it could be when he's 47 -- he plans to go on the potty.

Thank you oh lords of potty training. Thank you.

1 comment:

Karen S. said...

I would try potty training rewards. It worked great for our son. He loved pushing the button hearing he is a Big Boy and opening a door to find a chocolate surprise. He really became involved. He was peeing and pooping in his potty within a week. I really believe the reinforcement from the audio push button worked wonders not to mention the reward. I know every child is different, but have a look and see if this would work for you. www.pottytrainingrewards.com