Friday, March 28, 2008

Hunter big; Wilder happy

So we got back a little bit ago from Hunter's first doctor appointment. It went well. At 9 lbs., 6.5 oz., he's back up above his birth weight, which is something I'm particularly proud of. For a number of reasons, I wasn't able to breastfeed Wilder, though I did pump for six months. Anyway, so far, despite some big ups and downs, I've been Hunter's near-sole source of food, and I think I can almost safely say we're going to make it the long haul. We're still facing some challenges, but we've turned a big corner in the last couple days and the fact that he's gaining weight means that we're doing well. Yay us!!

Another surprise: He's actually two inches longer than his measured birth height. Twenty-two inches! I imagine it's really difficult to accurately measure a squalling newborn. Anyway, that makes him above the 97th percentile in height. I imagine he and Wilder will be similarly sized ... no big shock given their Papa's height.

Speaking of Wilder, I wish I'd gotten some photos or videos last night. Because it was Deb and Allie's last night here, we let him stay up well past his usual 8 p.m. bedtime. I have to say, I don't think I have EVER seen my firstborn so joyful. We were all hanging out, listening to music and enjoying our last night in each other's company. Wilder started dancing on his own and pretty soon had us all up cutting a rug with shouts of "dance with me!" and "shake it!" Hanging out so much with Allie this week really improved his vocabulary!

He's going to be heartbroken I think when he realizes Allie and Deb are, indeed, not coming back anytime soon. I was so worried about bringing baby home and how it would rock Wilder's world, and I think he had more fun this week than he's ever had in his whole life. He's an extremely social boy and just loves hanging out with new people. Luckily, his grandma Teri will be here Sunday.

Here's one last photo of Deb, Allie and Hunter:


xo, k.

PS. I forgot to mention, we finally got Hunter sleeping well last night! Jerry probably got six or seven hours of sleep, and I got plenty to render myself a non-zombie for the day. Woooohooo Hunter!!

No comments: