Friday, July 25, 2008

My new best friend

On Fridays, I stay home with my boys. They're a handful, and I'm usually exhausted by late afternoon, but I'm finding more and more that Fridays are just magic days. In particular, lately Wilder seems to regard me as just the coolest thing since sliced bread. Which is a far cry from the "go away mamas!!" of a couple months ago.

Today, for example, Wilder and I started the day by watching "The Land Before Time" while Hunter snoozed. Wilder ran and got us two pudding cups and two spoons and it was so cute and sweet that, even though it was 8 a.m., I couldn't say no.

At lunch (again, Hunter was napping) we had a picnic on a blanket in the sunroom. We built "ships" out of Legos.

After his nap, we went to the sprayground (Wilder calls it the "waterfall") and then quickly visited the adjoining playground. Hunter was all smiles until he crapped all over himself and me. Then lots of boo-hooing until I went and stood by the sprayground pumps (loud!) and the noise lulled him to sleep.

Then the boys and I drove around our neighborhood, just for something to do, looking at houses. Our new 'hood is pretty well established and it's pretty cool what some of the people here have done with their homes/yards. So we took 30 minutes or so to explore. Hunter napped. Wilder yapped at me happily. I voyeured. Perfect.

Then we all tumbled into the house and into the "big bed" to watch cartoons and let Hunter nurse. Jerry came home, we had dinner and then Wilder and I walked to the park to play and kick the soccer ball around. I let him stay until well past his bedtime. He met a new friend and had so much fun, happily chattering to me all the way home.

I just wanted to write about this day because, for me, it was near nirvana. Happy sighs ... happy sighs.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Love this story, so happy for you, you totally deserve nirvana. At least once a week I say.

Hope it's today!