Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The chronicles of cranberry sauce

Thanksgiving has begun at my house, which, in essence, means that I have to start cooking a couple days early so that, come 4 p.m. on Thanksgiving day, I don't have to shake the flour out of my hair, crack open a bottle of bourbon and sink down to the kitchen floor in a puddle of tears and pity.

This year, much to my delight, I'm hosting my Denver-based family, which means I'll be cooking for 9. Of course my lovely siblings will be bringing side dishes (you GO Jay with your big, bad relish tray self!!), but I'm roasting the turkey and throwing in a bunch of other sides and desserts because, well ... because I'm masochistic?

No, actually, I love making a big holiday meal, even if it does usually mean a lot more stress than I bargained for. And it is particularly sweet this year since we're back where we belong. Now I'm just hoping for big, big snow on Thursday.

Anyway, back to today: My sous chef (also know as Wilder) and I made Triple Cranberry Sauce, something I've made every year for about the last seven, I think (and gratitude to my awesome mom-in-law, Teri, for the recipe). I decided to take some pictures because this is really the first year Wilder has been able to help me cook the big meal. He's an awesome sous chef ... a little liberal with the tastings, but great nonetheless.

Here are some photos:

The berries begin to pop ... my favorite part.

My sous chef, hard at work ...

Busted!

Seasonings, etc. await ...

Ready for the dumping ... and ...

There we go!

Wilder gives it a good final stirring.

And voila! The finished product.

Give me five, sous chef!

2 comments:

Sherry said...

send receipe please... and soon, my Thanksgiving will be just like the Kris Scott Thanksgiving!! mwahahahahahaha

K said...

Will do ... have to send it to another person this a.m., so I'll copy you on it. :-)