Monday, November 01, 2010

Me time (with needles!)

Things I don't like about living in Colorado: dry, dry skin and allergies.

Things I like about living in Colorado: everything else.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. And on that note, I finally began my allergy injection therapy this week, which is a fancy way of saying I get about 10-12 shots every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. After each shot, I have to wait 20 minutes for the next one, and then 30 minutes after the last one, before they'll let me leave. They're waiting to see if, at best, my shot site gets itchy and inflamed (so far, so good) or, at worst, my throat closes up on me (so far, so thank the lord that hasn't happened).

So, yes ... it's kind of a pain in the butt that, in the middle of my very busy life, I have to go into some allergist's office three times a week -- and two of those times sans boys -- and sit there for an hour or two.

On the other hand, I can bring coffee, a magazine, a good book, my iPod and/or my phone and do what I almost never get to do, which is sit there on my butt and read or just chill. It's an opportunity to slow down a little, which happens so rarely these days between work, Wilder, Hunter and the mountains of laundry, dishwashing and other assorted household tasks.

So, yeah, go ahead ... stick needles in my arm and I'll get back to my good book (this week, at any rate, it's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle," by Barbara Kingsolver).

And speaking of being busy most of the time, we just ended what it one of our most frenetic times of the year, when Wilder's birthday, Jer and I's wedding anniversary and all assorted Halloween-related events align in the same week.

For W's birthday, we had a swim party at the Westminster Rec Center and had a really good group of folks join us. I made three dozen chocolate cupcakes decorated with French buttercream icing and M&Ms and rainbow sprinkles ... it was the first time I attempted something like that (normally I buy our birthday cakes from the grocery store), and I think they turned out pretty awesome. And, since I made them over two days, I didn't lose my mind.

So yes, Wilder had a great birthday. And other than the fact that he's calming down some, the only change in his new, 5-year-old existence seems to be that for some reason he thinks that being 5 means you can wear socks to bed. He's quite adamant that Hunter cannot, and he also told me this morning that when he's 6 he'll be able to wear his shoes to bed. I only look at him quizically and wonder how in the hell his brain works.

His brother, on the other hand ... well, I think I know all too well how his brain works. And, in essence, that means it works just like mine. He is equal parts curmudgeon and comedian (sound familiar?) and, for the most part, equal parts exasperating and entertaining. He will be kicking me out of his room, post-nap, one minute and killing me with some rollicking good physical comedy the next.

I think that, given that they mirror Jerry's and my personalities so completely (Wilder is mini-Jer and Hunter is mini-me), they are destined to be the best of friends, just like Jer and I. I hope so anyway.

Have to wrap this up as it's nearing time to go pick the boys up from school, but our busy, busy October was great. AND I'm glad it's over. I posted some photos on Facebook, and I'll try to post some extras here later. Now, onto Thanksgiving menu planting (oh, and voting ... don't forget to VOTE!!!)

No comments: