Monday, November 15, 2010

Proud mama

Just got home from having a parent-teacher conference with Hunter's teacher. Yes, he's 2. No, it makes no sense. And honestly, as I was sitting there waiting, still somewhat sick, wishing I was at home on the couch in my robe and fleece pants, I was thinking what a total waste of time it was going to be.

And, pretty much, it was. She handed me a folder of his artwork and a checklist of his skills and a few anecdotal incidents of him being sweet to his fellow students. And I didn't learn anything I don't already know. Which makes sense, of course: He's my kid.

But I did leave there pretty proud of him. Miss Naoko, his teacher, told me again and again how wonderful his social skills are, particuarly his ability to feel empathy for his friends and fellow classmates. "We don't see this level of social interaction in 2-year-olds, hardly ever." she said. Sometimes it takes someone else's angle on your own kid to remind you that there is something special there. I mean, I know Hunter is an exceptionally sweet boy, but I don't walk around all day thinking about it.

She asked me at the end of our meeting, half joking: "Maybe you can share with us how you raise him?" And I told her what I genuinely believe: That kid came out of the womb like that. It's not that I don't think I'm a good mom (sometimes), but I think those who know Hunter best, like me, will agree that he was just born that way. He's got a certain way of looking at life that involves equal parts mellowness, kindness and humor.

So that's all I wanted to say: Hunter is pretty damn great. (And Wilder is, too, but his p-t conference isn't for another couple weeks, so I'll brag on him then.)

/bragging

3 comments:

Pop said...

Kris, might I add that Wilder & Hunter are very fortunate to have a Mom like you (and a Dad like Jerry).

K said...

Thanks Pop :-) You are sweet.

Amy said...

You know what they say about the apple....
It definitely didn't fall far from the tree on either kiddo.
Both are GREAT SCOTTS and you two have done a wonderful parenting job.
MIss you all here...