Tuesday, October 07, 2008

A post for a friend

A lot of you know I'm not deeply religious. But I do believe in something, and I believe that we have the power within us to shift how things happen in the world. I don't pray much, unless I feel like there's something that just can't be solved in another way. Today, I feel that way, so I'm going to be saying a lot of prayers. Let me tell you why.

Two months ago, my good friend found out her husband, who was 28, died in a car accident on his way back to his offshore oil rig job. She was at work when she got the call, and I hope to never see anything again so heartbreaking in my life. They had two young boys together: ages 4 and 1 and 1/2. They didn't have a perfect marriage, but there was never any doubt that they truly loved each other.

This friend of mine is having a tough, tough time. You'd think losing your spouse like this would be enough. But for her, hurt just seems to keep piling on top of hurt. She's in a new house and her neighbors are horrible. She has a new job because of this, and her boss is awful. She is having a REALLY tough time making ends meet -- until she receives her husband's death certificate, she can't get Social Security death benefits, and the paperwork takes a long time.

Yesterday I was driving home from work, looked down at my phone and her name and number were on my screen. I take such things as signs, so I called her. And I'm glad I did; she was in tears, in a dark place. She can't catch a break and it's getting to her pretty bad. She's tough ... one of the toughest women I know. But she's reaching her breaking point. By the way, she's also one of the nicest, most generous people I know, and she's a kick-butt mom to those boys.

I don't know how to help her. I listen. I tell her it will get better. I tell her I know those are just words, but that we have to believe them. "Because it sure as hell can't get much worse ..." one of us will say. And then we laugh a little through our tears.

So anyway, here's the thing. Could you say a little prayer for my friend today? I know throwing a prayer request out in the inner-web-tubes seems like a strange thing to do, very un-Kris-like. But indulge me, please. This girl really, really needs a break. Her boys really, really need to have a mom that doesn't have so damn much on her shoulders.

And honestly, at this point I'll try just about anything to help her, to get the good, positive energy in the world shifting back in her direction.

Her name is Kristen.

Thanks, k.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Could we send over a few groceries or a meal to help her out?

Anonymous said...

Yes! Shoot me an email, Maggie, and I can arrange it. kristilynscott@gmail.com. You guys are so sweet. And thank you too for the offer of boy-sitting. We actually got out of the house this weekend thanks to some good friends watching our boys, and it was wonderful. We'll take you up on it soon, and the same offer applies to you and Patrick, especially after your new little one is born and you guys need a break. Kris