Thursday, January 05, 2012

And he's a writer (of letters, anyway)


Over the holiday break, I taught Hunter how to write his name. We worked on it a few weeks ago, during which time he became convinced his name was spelled H-T-O, and I was so happy he was writing any letters that I became content to just let him believe that for awhile.

A few days before break ended, I knew that Wilder needed to get back on the academic horse lest he show up to the first day back to kindergarten drooling and holding his pencil like a caveman club, so I grabbed some paper and markers and set him down to practice.

Hunter sat down, too. He wrote an "H," looked at me and said "what next?"

So we went over it. How to spell his name. How to put one letter next to another, etc.

This afternoon, I picked him up from preschool. On the way out the door, I stopped to look at a piece of paper taped to the door. There, in Hunter's distinctive yet legible scrawl, I saw his name. I looked quizzically at his teacher.

"He came in, sat down and the first thing he did was write his name for Miss Deb (the a.m. teacher)," she told me. "So we taped it up."

#proudmamamoment :-)

Hard at work writing his name.

2 comments:

Pop said...

I did not know he is a southpaw.

Anonymous said...

i knew i liked that kid for some reason (fellow southpaw)

Dan