Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Highs and lows

Two random and unrelated happenings from today:

• A little background here for the first. A few weeks ago I visited Washington DC during inauguration week to see our first African-American leader ushered into the presidency. I was an Obama supporter, but I was also just damn proud to see my country finally do that. So anyway, while I was there I picked up Obama T-shirts, hats, etc. including a couple for the kids. I'm not really the type to dress up my kids in politico-wear and drag them off to rallies, parades and such. But I figured they could wear them around the house, keep them as keepsakes, etc. Anyway, in the interest of having a half-aware kid, whenever I wear my T-shirt or Wilder wears his, I ask him who it is, and he responds, "President Obama." I've tried to tell him who this is, what he does, etc. Today, we were driving to a play date, listening to NPR, and there was some stimulus package coverage. All of the sudden, from the back seat, Wilder pipes up: "Hey Mama! They're talking about President Obama!"

I thought it was kind of cool that he was listening to the radio news enough to recognize that. Made me kind of proud.

• On the flip side, Jerry and Wilder and I were eating dinner tonight while the already-fed Hunter wandered around the sunroom. Wilder was being Wilder, which is to say he wasn't listening to a thing I said and generally acting like a barbaric cave boy while we were trying to have a nice meal. Finally, I just dropped my head, shook it and said: "There is not enough booze in the world to raise a 3-year-old boy for more than a year."

Jerry said it was profound and should go on the blog. I dunno about profound. I just know it's damn true. I'm sure the same can be said for 16-year-old girls. At least I won't have to deal with that, eh?

Nite all. xo, k.

No comments: