Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Walk in the woods

For quite some time now, Wilder has decreed that he would like to go "for a walk in the woods." It's something that makes Jerry and my hearts sing with joy that our boy should express such a desire. We'd like nothing more than to be somewhere where taking a simple walk in the woods was an everyday occurrence.

Someday ...

In the meantime, there is a little area near our house, an area that I go out of my way to drive by most every time we get in the car, that I've been meaning to take the boys to for some time. It's really only five minutes from our house, and it's a little hard to believe it's in the middle of the city here. When you get down in the trees, it ceases to smell like big-city Dallas. In fact, when we went there today, I made Wilder stop and take a huge breath through his nose. Smell that, kid? That's fresh air.

So yes, today we went. I strapped Hunter into his baby backpack and Wilder used his own two strong boy legs and we went for that walk in the woods. It was pretty awesome. Eventually, the woods open up into a meadow, which open up into a field, which merge into a couple of baseball fields and a playground, which is where we ended up before looping back. I think we're going to have to make this a regular occurrence, if my back can take it.

Wilder and Hunter were both pretty tired by the time we got back. In fact, you can see from the photos below that Hunter was more than tired. He was passed out face first into his pack. A biker rode by us laughing his butt off at our little Hunter.

On a completely separate note, this seems to be Facial Wound and Concussion Week in the Scott household. For Hunter, anyway. He's trying so hard to walk that he's caught himself with various facial parts more than once. Well, that and the near black eye that Wilder gave him with a toy. (No lie, as I typed the last part of that sentence, he faceplanted behind me.)

I need to make dinner. I leave you with photos. xo, k.











2 comments:

The Scotts said...

I so wish I could have been there. As soon as busy season's over lets go camping!
I'll request the time off monday after we pick a date this weekend.
Oklahoma here we come!

The Scotts said...

awesome post, btw.

ly,
J