Monday, February 11, 2008

Hair cuts and hand-me-downs

My camera battery is dead and charging, so I'm going to have to update this post with photos later. But I promise I will. Jerry's giving Wilder a bath right now and I have a free few minutes so I figured I better write while I can, photos or no photos. (UPDATE: Photos added!)

First off, Wilder got a haircut today, and it's his first "real" haircut. Jerry and I've relented to little trims here and there, but from the get-go we both knew we wanted to keep his hair on the longish side. Still, today I had them take quite a bit off. His locks had gotten what I like to refer to as "that Nick Nolte after an 8-day bender" look. Totally disheveled and deranged looking. Plus, knowing that a new baby is about to arrive, and that it will be even easier to put off haircuts in the near future, I figured we'd take off more than maybe we were comfortable with. Hair grows, right? We thought about waiting until Gramma Teri arrives, but I just couldn't take another day of that Nolte look.

Anyway, hence the cut. And, while I think Jerry might be a little taken aback by the amount I had trimmed off, I think Wilder looks soooo adorable and handsome. His hair still curls in the back, but his cute little features really shine through now, and there's nary a hint of drunken has-been celebrity. Woot! Here are a couple pics from tonight:




So now we're getting settled in our new 'hood, and one of the first things I did was join the Parents Group. Now, I'm not a joiner. It's a quality I was born with apparently. I was never was in Brownies or Girl Scouts or anything like that. I've never really been able to join groups and feel I fit in, unless you count the misfits shooting pool at the bar, drinking beer. That group I always felt a kinship with, and frankly still do ... for whatever that says about me.

But I thought it would be a good idea, if for no one else than Wilder and Hunter, if I joined the club, so to speak. And can I just say, we're already reaping the benefits. First and foremost, though I've had little time to hang with the fellow moms in the group, there are some super-cool women. Women I could actually see both having playdates and pilsners with.

But what's also cool is anytime someone has something to sell, they post it to the Yahoo group. So far we've obtained a desperately needed queen-sized guest bed and, to my even greater delight, a $30 glider and ottoman. Something I didn't have with Wilder but which other mamas I know raved about to such a degree that I always had glider-envy. It matches our nursery furniture perfectly and is covered in a nice, boyish denim that's still in great shape. Thirty dollars! My late bargain-hunting mama would be quite proud.





So I hear my boys heading down the hall toward me. I'm off, probably to share a dish of ice cream and maybe the first quarter of Curious George with my wee one. He's reaching that age where he can be intensely exasperating, but in the next second, the sweetest hug- and kiss-giving little boy on the planet. Manipulation? Yeah, probably, but I sure can't stay mad at him for long. (And one quick last photo, because some have asked me to post more photos of the house, which I'm working on!)



Nite all,
k.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Your hand me downs look new from here in cali. Tell Jer that I love the haircut, Wilder looks so very handsome. Momma, you look great too btw!

Cati Basile said...

So did you guys decide on the name Hunter?

Anonymous said...

I do NOT visit this blog often enough. I get all caught up in the world of baseball & Big Brother. Anyway, the house is BEAUTIFUL! Well, what I've seen of it. I cannot wait to be home again. I'm seeing a trip once the season gets off the ground.
Wilder is getting so big - I can't believe it. He is dashing in his hair cut. you did the right thing... the Nick Nolte look-alike doens't pay as well as it used to.
MWAH! Love to ALL!