Friday, February 22, 2008

A San Francisco retreat

I don't talk much about work on this blog, for obvious reasons. It's work, and when I leave there, as much as I (most of the time) like my job, I try to leave it behind. To fully be the "home" version of myself. I'm the web editor where I work, which the past few months has meant working on a new website: one that is MUCH bigger in size, depth and scope than what we currently have. It's been a crash course in project management for me -- one that has oftentimes been overwhelming and in my more hormonally charged moments, reduced me to tears. The launch of the new site is scheduled to happen two to three weeks after I return from maternity leave.

Anyway, we're partnering with a San Francisco company to make this happen. They provide a content management platform and represent a ton of big name clients (think CNN). Enough web-girl speak: The point here is they have a user conference for three days the first week in May ...

AND I'M GOING!

Woooooooo. Hooooooo. Now at first I declined. Told my boss I didn't feel comfortable committing to it when I'd have a 2-month-old at home. Forty-eight hours later I thought: "Are you insane? Kris ... seriously, pull your head out of your ..." You get the point. So today I booked my room at the Orchard Garden Hotel. It looks like the kind of place where a woman who hasn't slept in two months could get a decent night's sleep. THREE decent night's sleep. It's about three-quarters of a mile from where the conference is taking place, and I'm looking forward to the walk back and forth each day. And it's going to be very close to a lot of great sites and attractions (have I mentioned how much I LOVE San Fran?), and I even have a wonderful old friend there I'm hoping to visit.

Anyway, I don't get the chance to do much solo these days. I love my family DEARLY, but I sure am glad they're willing to do without me for three days! (And thanks, Jer, for being one of those fantastic husbands that says, "Yeah Kris, go" -- and means it.

Yay yay yay!

3 comments:

Cati Basile said...

Oo congrats Kris! That will be a good vaca =)

Deb Davis said...

I sure thought you were posting a pic of your & Jerry's bedroom! Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

i was about to comment on your wonderful use of bright hues to build contrast, giving your room a feeling of airiness, then i realized ... that's a freaking hotel!

have fun!

BTW: Hilarious poll ... I voted for "bob" but thought "scott" would be a better name.